PLASTERING - SAND & CEMENT RENDERING
This course equips trainees with basic plastering skills to apply sand and cement rendering to walls both internal and external. It is suitable for people already employed in the plastering trade and who require up skilling.
6 weeks (270 hours), 6 days a week
Monday – Friday: (8:00am – 5:00pm)
Saturdays: (8:00am – 1:00pm)
Maximum of 12 trainees per class
- Each trainee will be issued with a comprehensive folder of course notes, covering the scope of the course.
- The use of overhead projectors and power point presentations are employed throughout.
- Trainees are encouraged to ask questions and to take an active part in class discussions.
- 50 hours are dedicated to theoretical studies and approximately 220 hours in well-equipped dedicated workshops.
- Each trainee will be issued with hand tools and power tool required to do all practical tasks.
- The instructor demonstrates how to do the task to small groups, the number depending on how difficult the task is.
- One to one tuition is often provided.
• Understand health and safety
• Identification of hand tools and their correct use
• Care and maintenance of tools
• Terminology used within the trade
• Types of sand and silt tests
• Cement and lime and other additives
• Mix ratios
• European plastering techniques
• Correctly use metric tape and spirit levels and marking out equipment
• Correctly mix the sand, cement and water - observing correct ratios
• Prepare walls and surfaces for plastering
• Apply plaster to a wall using the ‘three coat’ European method: scud, scratch and finish coat
• Aftercare of plastered walls
• Create different types of finish coat
On successful completion of this course each trainee will have a comprehensive understanding of:
• Health and safety and be aware of the dangers of working on site.
• Will be familiar and will have worked with all the hand tool associated with plastering by the European method.
• Be confidently able to read a metric measuring tape and use spirit levels to find the vertical and horizontal planes.
• Understand ratios and accurately mix the components to make a suitable plastering mix.
• Trainees will be competently able to apply a scud coat, a scratch coat and a finish coat to a high standard
• Trainees will be able to create reveals, bands, bell casts, plinths and ashlar finishes.
• Do all the aftercare work to ensure rendering cures properly.
• Trainees will be able to estimate quantities of materials required to do a task.
• Assessments are done by an independent assessor on completion of the module.
• Both theory and practical competency is examined. Trainees must pass both examinations to receive a certificate.
Successful trainees are issued with a competency certificate accredited by CPD Certification Service, UK.