BLOCK LAYING - BASIC SKILLS
This course equips trainees with the basic building skills required to construct walls from various size concrete blocks; to do so accurately and to a European standard. It is suitable for people already employed in the block laying trade and who require up skilling.
5 weeks (230 hours), 6 days a week
Monday – Friday: (8:00am – 5:00pm)
Saturdays: (8:00am – 1:00pm)
Maximum of 12 trainees per class
- Each trainee will be issued with a comprehensive folder of course notes, covering the scope of the course.
- The use of overhead projectors and power point presentations are employed throughout.
- Trainees are encouraged to ask questions and to take an active part in class discussions.
- Each trainee will be issued with hand tools and power tool required to do all practical tasks.
- hours are dedicated to theoretical studies and approximately 190 hours in well-equipped dedicated workshops.
- Instructor demonstrates how to do the task to small groups, the number depending on how difficult the task is.
- One to one tuition is often provided.
- Understand health and safety
- Identification of hand tools
- Care and maintenance of tools
- Terminology used within the trade
- Marking out using 3,4,5 method, diagonals
- Types of sand and silt tests
- Cement, lime and other additives
- Block laying techniques
- Observe site safety
- Interpret building drawings
- Correctly use metric tape and spirit levels and marking out equipment
- Assess the quality of sand
- Correctly mix sand, cement and water - observing correct
- Correct use of block laying tools
- Lay blocks using the European method
- Tie in blocks and spread loads evenly
On successful completion of this course each trainee will have a comprehensive understanding of:
1. Health and safety and be aware of the dangers of working on site.
2. Will be familiar and will have worked with all the hand tool associated with block laying by the European method.
3. Be confidently able to read a metric measuring tape and use spirit levels to find the vertical and horizontal planes.
4. Accurately mix the components to make a suitable mortar mix.
5. Trainees will be competently able to cut and lay concrete blocks.
6. Lay blocks plumb and horizontal and to a set tolerance.
7. Will be able to estimate quantities of materials required to do a task.
8. Have all the theoretical knowledge to support all the above mentioned tasks.
• Assessments are done by an independent assessor on completion of the module.
• Both theory and practical competency is examined.
Successful trainees are issued with a competency certificate accredited by CPD Certification Service, UK.